NAPA and their partners in this challenge, the BHF National Centre for Physical Activity and Health, have released resources to support Go for Gold 2012 (links below).
What is the Go for Gold 2012 Challenge?
Go for Gold offers a choice of 5 physical activity challenges. Participants can do just one element or have a go at all of them.
- The Try-athlon Challenge –choose from a range of 6 simple physical activities. For example, you could choose to do a 50 m aided walk, wool winding or bicep curls with baked bean tins. Competitors can do just one or train for 3 to be in with a chance of winning the national Try –athlon Gold medal
- The Senior Games Challenge - active games events in later life might include skittles, carpet golf or shove ha’penny
- The Dance With Me Challenge - tripping the light fantastic any way you can
- The Walk With Me Challenge- accumulate steps and miles indoors or out
- Your own physical activity Challenge – creating your own challenge events that will get people moving
Major prizes and medals are on offer for each section
How can I contribute in my role as a Physiotherapist, Assistant or Physiotherapy Student?
There are a number of ways to be a part of this exciting competition:
- Organise an event
- Spread the word - disseminate the resources and encourage care homes and care settings in your area to participate
- Volunteer your services - get involved, network in your area and build links with local care settings!
If you can spare a small (or large!) amount of time to volunteer your services, there are a number of ways in which you could help. You could help organise an event, provide advice on risk assessment, help with participant training plans, be a community witness or referee. If you would like to offer your services, please e-mail your details to Sylvie Silver at email@example.com. Please provide your contact details, what support you are willing to provide, and your geographical area. Please put "physio volunteer" in the e-mail subject heading.
If you are not in, you can't win!